Cosmetic dentistry helps you maintain the appearance of your dental set-up. It involves various procedures and treatment options that make your teeth look whiter and improve the overall appearance of your smile.
Why should you go for cosmetic dentistry?
- When you have discolored teeth, cosmetic dental procedures such as whitening help in removing the stains from your teeth.
- When the teeth are too widely or too closely placed, options such as installing veneers and bonding help in spacing them appropriately.
- Teeth which have been damaged (cracked or chipped) or worn out can be restored and made to look as good as new.
- When your teeth have been affected by cavities, they can be restored with the help of filling or inlays.
- When your teeth aren't of uniform size, i.e. if one or more teeth are larger or smaller than the other teeth, then they can be made to match the size of the remaining teeth.
- Malocclusion is a major cosmetic issue, where the teeth aren't aligned properly. Dental appliances such as braces and clear aligners (Invisalign) can be used to treat malocclusion issues.
- Missing teeth can be a serious letdown. When teeth are heavily damaged due to external trauma or cavities, they may have to be extracted. These missing teeth can be replaced with the help of dental implants or bridges. If the number of missing teeth is more, then dentures can be used.
Cosmetic dental procedures
Teeth whitening: It is the most widely used cosmetic dental procedure. As the name suggests, it is a process of removing the stains from the surface of the teeth. Whitening gel is used for this purpose. As an advanced method, laser teeth whitening can be used, as it gives better results and is much quicker.
Filling: Dental filling is a tooth-colored material which is used to fill cavities and restore cracked and fractured teeth.
Scaling and root planing: Scaling helps in removing the accumulated plaque and tartar from the surface of the teeth. Root planing helps in doing the same to the root surface of the teeth. They not only clean the teeth but also prevent the onset of gum diseases, as they help in getting rid of the microbes.
Crowns and bridges: They are dental appliances which offer great cosmetic properties. Crowns are thin shells which are made up of porcelain or composite. They cover a tooth entirely and help in restoring their shape, color and size. Bridges are artificial teeth-like structures and are used to replace missing teeth.
Dental implants and dentures: Implants are considered as the best option to replace missing teeth. They have high strength and durability, and last long as well. Dentures are a set of artificial teeth and are used when many teeth have been extracted. They are removable.
Veneers: They're thin, flat pieces of ceramic (porcelain) and are used to cover the face of a tooth. They help in restoring the shape, size and color of teeth.
Braces and Invisalign: Dental braces are used to align misaligned teeth and to correct a bad bite. They can solve any issue related to malocclusion. Invisalign is a clear aligner and works by applying pressure on the teeth.
Regular brushing and flossing help in keeping bacteria at bay and also in maintaining whiter teeth. Biannual Dental check-ups are necessary to keep track of one's dental health.